Engineering Experiment Station
In 1921 the board of visitors established the Virginia Engineering Experiment Station. Its purpose was "to stimulate and advance engineering education and to investigate problems of special importance to engineering and other industrial interests of the state and nation." For many years engineering departments had to conduct research within their normal operating budgets. In 1950 the General Assembly established the station as a separate division with a distinct research organization and budget. In 1966 its duties were assumed by the Research Division. Directors: J. S. A. Johnson (1921‑31); Earle B. Norris (1932-52), J. W. Whittemore (1952‑63); W. G. Worcester (1963‑64); F. W. Bull (1964‑65); W. B. Harrison (1965‑66).